|Romney’s performance at the debate may have had style, but once again he lied to voters about his plans to hurt the middle class. Romney didn’t tell the American people the truth about his plans for taxes, education, health care, Medicare because he knows they would hurt the middle class.The President knows that if you want to be president you owe the American people the truth. So here’s the truth:
- Governor Romney cannot pay for his $5 trillion tax plan without blowing up the deficit or sticking it to the middle class. That’s the math. We can’t afford to go down that road again.
- We can’t afford another round of budget busting tax cuts for the wealthy.
- We can’t afford to gut our investments in education or clean energy or research & technology.
- We can’t afford to rollback regulations on Wall Street, or on big oil companies or insurance companies.
- We cannot afford to double down on the same top down economic policies that got us into this mess.
That is not a plan to create jobs. That is not a plan to grow the economy. That is not change – that is a relapse. We don’t want to go back there. We’ve tried it, it didn’t work, and we are not going back, we are going forward.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m still not satisfied that the President has done all he could have to add jobs to America. But I do know that whatever he tried, the Republicans tried to stop him every step of the way. Even if it would have been good for America, the Republicans couldn’t accept that it would also have been an accomplishment for the President.